Busy women who fit short bursts of activity into their daily schedules will reap many health benefits and even see results.
One study discovered that women who broke their exercise into 10 minute increments were more likely to consistently exercise over time. More so, the study revealed that these women lost more weight after 5 months than those who exercised for 20 to 40 minutes at a time.
The next time you’re stuck in an over-scheduled rut, remember some of these simple and portable exercise bursts to add into your day. Bear in mind that short bursts of exercise are a means of supplementing your fitness routine, not replacing it!
1) After you go outside to retrieve the newspaper or collect your mail later, go for a brisk 5-minute power walk up the street in one direction and then back the other way.
2) Squeeze in 5-10 minutes of jumping jacks while you’re waiting for dinner to cook or watching TV. A 150-pound woman can burn 90 calories in one 10-minute session!
3) Do some standing push-ups when waiting for a pot to boil or baking dinner in the oven. Stand approximately an arm’s length from the counter and push your arms against the counter. Push in and out for a few repetitions to tone the arm and shoulders.
4) Keep a set of free weights on a shelf in your bedroom or bathroom. During your bedtime routine, fit a few repetitions of some dumbbell exercises.
5) Briskly walk around the block several times while waiting for your child at an extracurricular activity or on your break at work. Add in 1-minute jogging bursts as your fitness levels improve.
6) Turn park visits with your kids into mini-workouts. Bring a ball to throw back and fourth to your kids and run for the fly balls.
7) Walk to restaurants or cafes on your lunch break at work that take you a bit out of your way.
8) When watching a TV program, jog in place during the commercials. A 150-pound woman can burn up to 45 minutes in 5 minutes!
9) Another ideal workout that can easily be done during light TV watching is leg exercises and lifts with small free weights.
The Editors of Prevention Health Books for Women. (2011, November). 25 Easy Ways to Fit in 10 Minutes of Exercise. Retrieved from: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/fitness-25-fast-and-easy-ways-fit-10-minutes-exercise