With well over half of our immune cells located in the gastro-intestinal tract, our digestion system is at the core of overall health. A healthy diet helps with regulating our digestive system for optimal performance.
Below, we have listed 7 “happy belly” foods to assist you in maintaining optimal digestion.
From Mexico and Guatemala, chia seeds are tiny, tasteless seeds that are dark brown, white or black in colour. They are an incredibly excellent source of nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and minerals.
• 2 tablespoons of chia seeds provides 10 g of fibre, helping to reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, and regulate bowel function
• TIP: Add chia seeds into your smoothies, yogurts, and fruit bowls
Coconut oil is a healthy substitute for butters and oils as it has a sweet, nutty taste and is solid at room temperature.
• It contains fatty acids and antimicrobial properties that assist In improving digestion, immunity, metabolism, and energy levels
• TIP: Try to go for coconut oil that is organic, unrefined, and expeller-pressed
A clarified butter free of many of the milkfats as well as sugar and lactose, ghee maintains its original freshness and taste for up to a year. Found at the local health food store or homemade easily with cultured organic unsalted butter, ghee prompts the secretion of stomach acids to break down food, thereby stimulating digestion.
Wild Alaskan Salmon
Wild Alaskan salmon is a great choice for digestive health as it is a delicious and rich anti-inflammatory food. Further, wild Alaskan salmon aren’t fed genetically modified food.
Satisfying and hydrating, zucchini packs a lot of digestive power with its high-fibre content.
• Zucchini has a cleansing effect on our digestive tract, particularly the intestines
• It cleanses the walls of the intestines and prevents carcinogenic toxins from settling in the colon
• TIP: Leave the skin on the zucchini when adding to meals as that is where it is most nutrient-rich
Not only is bone broth cost-effective and easy, but it is a mighty multitasker when it comes to maintaining our digestive health:
• The gelatin in bone broth attracts and holds liquids that help heal and seal the gut
• Bone broth is full of easy-to-absorb minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sulfur chondroitin and glucosamine
• TIP: Try to use bones that come organically-raised, pastured or grass-fed animals
Lacto-fermented vegetables are cultured vegetables such as pickles, sauerkraut and kimchi that are crunchy and tangy. They are strong detoxifiers containing significantly high levels of probiotics that help with breaking down food and ridding the body of heavy metals and other toxins. Lacto-fermented vegetables are inexpensive and simple to make, requiring nothing more than salt, vegetables and filtered water.
Andreeva, N. (2014, March 6). 7 Foods That Will Work Wonders On Your Digestion. Retrieved from: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12848/7-foods-that-will-work-wonders-on-your-digestion.html