It’s that wonderful time of the year when your children seem to be located right in line of the fire or shall we say the line of “cold, flu’s and fevers.”
Besides vigorous hand washing, sanitizing and scrubbing, there are a number of preventative measures you can take as a parent to bump up your child’s immunity. Having a healthy immune system is your child’s best bet in fighting off a cold or seasonal flu and fevers.
1) Eating Well
• Include foods full of phytonutrients such as blueberries, spinach, tomatoes and sweet potatoes
• Keep your kids away from the artificial sweets – they create imbalances in our gut bacteria, increase systemic body inflammation and reduces our body’s ability to fight infection
• Consider these immune super-foods for your kid’s snacks: kiwis, yogurt and pumpkin seeds
• Regularly sneak garlic (nature’s antibiotic) and mushrooms (rich in beta glucan, which has the ability to “activate” the immune system) into family dinners
Essential tips to assist in creating optimal gut integrity include:
• Avoid unnecessary antibiotic usage that destroy “good bacteria”
• Eliminate refined sugar and avoid other simple carbohydrates from your child’s diet
• Probiotic supplementation to help restore the “good bacteria” and support the digestive system
• Introduce your child to fermented foods, like kefir or sauerkraut, to promote beneficial bacteria
3) Chiropractic adjustments to boost the Immune “system!”
• Symptoms represent the body’s best efforts to heal itself
• By treating symptoms, you are suppressing the body’s natural response and inhibit the healing process
• Instead, the body’s defenses should be stimulated to allow the healing process completion, and in turn our immune system emerges stronger and better equipped to confront similar threats in the future
THIS IS WHERE CHIROPRACTIC COMES IN!
CHIROPRACTIC Adjustments aim to support the natural defense systems of the body. Chiropractic care optimizes whatever genetic abilities an individual has to resist disease and supports your child in reaching their full genetic potential. Therefore, spinal and nervous system checkups are imperative in strengthening the immune system and protecting your child against illness.
Read the FEATURED ARTICLE (link) to learn more about the relationship the Key Role Wellness Chiropractic Plays in Strengthening the Immune System.
• Make sure your child stays active regularly, even when it is more challenging during wintertime
• Moderate physical activity has been shown to boost the immune system and will help keep your child resilient to virus exposure
• According to some studies, sleep deprivation limits the body’s activity of white blood cells, which help to fight off infections and diseases
• Make sure your child is getting the recommended amount of sleep so their bodies can sweep up free radicals, promote healthy white blood cell activity, and deal with bugs
6) Vitamin D
• Scientists have found that vitamin D is imperative in activating our immune defenses and that without sufficient intake of the vitamin – the killer cells of the immune system — T cells — will not be able to react to and fight off serious infections in the body
• Schedule regular outdoor exposure and consult with a health professional about finding the right vitamin D supplement for your child
Shaw, G. A Nutritionist Speaks: How to Promote Your Child’s Digestive Health. Retrieved from: http://www.webmd.com/children/features/digestive-health
University of Copenhagen. (2010, March 8). Vitamin D crucial to activating immune defenses. Retrieved from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100307215534.htm